Cheyenne camp near Darlington 1890, El Reno, O.T. ca. 1890 (504 pc.): 16 x 20
Christopher C. Stotz
This ca. 1890 photograph by Christopher C. Stotz reveals a Cheyenne Indian Camp on the North Canadian River, North of Fort Reno near Darlington, Oklahoma Territory. In 1870 the Cheyenne-Arapaho Agency (later named Darlington Agency for the first Indian agent, Brinton Darlington) was established on the north bank of the North Canadian River. Numerous threats of violence between American Indians and cattlemen led to the opening of Fort Reno on the south bank of the river, opposite Darlington, in 1874. Photograph from the Nadine Pendleton Collection (10068), Research Division, OHS.